Dietitian’s Recipe of the week!
- 1 tbsp. olive or canola oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 500g lean beef mince
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp coriander
- ½ - 1 tsp crushed chillies
- 2 x 420g cans baked beans in tomato sauce (preferably salt reduced)
- 1/2 cup tomato salsa
- ¾ cup salt reduced beef stock
- 2 cups frozen vegetables i.e. peas, corn and capsicum
- 4 potatoes, cooked and mashed
- ½ cup warm reduced fat milk
- ½ cup grated reduced fat tasty cheese
Corn chips, to serve
- Heat oil in a deep non-stick pan and cook onion and garlic for 1-2 minutes, or until softened. Add mince, cumin, coriander & chillies and cook for 3-4 minutes, or until browned.
- Stir in baked beans, tomato sauce and stock. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the frozen vegetables and mix well. Transfer to a 1.5lt capacity ovenproof dish.
- Prepare mash; add warm milk, and freshly ground black pepper to hot potatoes and mash until smooth with no lumps.
- Top pie with mashed potatoes and sprinkle with cheese. Bake in a pre-heated oven of 180°C for 30-35 minutes, or until golden. Serve hot with a handful of corn chips.
Recipe courtesy of Grains & Legumes Nutrition CouncilTM www.glnc.org.au