Dietitian’s Recipe of the week!
Ingredients: (serves 4)
- 4 pork steaks (400g) – fat removed
- 1 tsp canola oil
- 100 mL dry sherry
- 1/2 cup fat free stock
- 2 tsp tomato paste
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 clove garlic cut into 3 pieces
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tsp marjoram
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 Tbsp redcurrant jelly or low joule jam
- 1/2 tsp corn flour
- Mix together tomato paste and stock. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan. Add steaks and brown evenly on both sides on medium heat. When pork begins to stick to side of pan add sherry. Bring to the boil and allow to boil rapidly for 1 minute. Reduce heat.
- Add cloves, garlic, ginger, stock mixture, marjoram and bay leaf. Simmer covered for 20-30 minutes.
- Remove pork from pan and keep warm. Remove bay leaf, garlic and cloves from sauce.
- Add redcurrant jelly or low joule jam. Stir until mixed through.
- Dissolve corn flour in a little water. Add to the sauce and stir until thickened.
- Pour sauce over pork steaks and serve with steamed beans and sweet potato!
Source: Calorie King recipes
Nutritional (approx): 280 calories, 3g carbohydrates, 47g of protein, 9g of fat, 4.0g of fiber.