The dietitian's recipe of the week! Enjoy a simple but tasty vegetable and rice omlette.
Ingredients (Serves 8-10)
- 1/2 cup long grain rice, cooked
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 75g button mushrooms, sliced
- 50g baby spinach leaves, shredded
- 100g reduced-fat feta, crumbled
- 250g pumpkin, cut into 2 cm cubes and steamed
- 4 eggs, extra, lightly beaten
- 6 cherry tomatoes, halved
- salad, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and lightly grease a 23cm pie dish. Combine the rice and one egg, and using the back of a spoon, smooth into the pie dish. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a large deep frying pan and cook the onion for three minutes, then add the mushrooms and cook for another three minutes, until soft. Add the spinach and stir through until wilted slightly.
- Arrange half the feta into the pie shell, and top with the pumpkin. Spread the onion mixture over the top, then the remaining feta. Pour the remaining eggs over, and nestle the tomatoes, cut side up, into the filling. Bake for 45 minutes, until set and golden.
- Stand for five minutes, before cutting into wedges to serve.
Adapted from: Dietitian’s Association of Australia