What could be better than a delicious apple pie served with vanilla ice-cream?
Basic whole meal short crust pastry:
1-¾ cup whole meal flour
1/3 cup margarine spread*
1 egg *
¼ cup iced cold water
3 medium sized red apples, finely sliced*
2 tsp lemon juice
¼ cup sultanas*
½ tsp cinnamon
2 tbs maple syrup
- To make the pastry use the dough blade in the food processor, combine the flour, egg and margarine and process until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Slowly add the cold water a little at a time and when you hear a change to the sound of the processing OR you can see the dough forming into a ball, turn the machine off.
- Remove the dough from the processor and place it in a plastic bag to chill for 30 minutes.
- Roll the pastry out evenly and lift it up gently and place onto a lightly oiled baking tray or baking paper. Brush the pastry with ½ the maple syrup
- Toss the sliced apples in a bowl with the lemon juice, sultanas and cinnamon. Arrange the apples into a pile in the centre of the pastry and then fold the pastry up over and around the top.
- Trim the edges to neaten and brush the top of the pastry with the remaining syrup. Place in an oven preheated to 180°C for 25 minutes
- Serve with low fat vanilla ice cream