Dietitian’s Recipe of the week!
Ingredients (serves 12)
- 2 cups grated or finely diced veggies (carrots, zuchinni, capsicum, spinach and/or corn all work well)
- 1 small brown onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 1/2 cups plain all purpose flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup grated light cheese
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup light milk
- 1 bunch fresh parsley
- Preheat the oven to 180 C. Lightly grease a muffin pan.
- Finely dice the onion and garlic. Sautee in a medium pan over low heat until the onion is translucent.
- Dice and/ or grate the vegetables.
- Add the vegetables (except the parsley) to the pan with the onion and garlic over low heat. You want to gently soften the vegetables and allow the flavours to intensify.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into a large mixing bowl.
- Add 1/4 cup of the grated cheese to the flour. Mix to combine. Add the vegetables and parsley to the flour. Mix gently to combine
- Whisk together eggs, milk and oil. Add to the flour mixture and mix to combine. Do not overmix.
- Spoon mixture into muffin tins. Add thin layer of remaining grated cheese to the top of each muffin.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until muffins are set and golden brown. Allow to cool before removing from pan.
Adapted from: http://recipeyum.com.au/savoury-veggie-muffins/