Dietitian’s Recipe of the week!
Ingredients: (serves 6–8)
- 150ml egg white (approximately 4 eggs)
- 1/4 – 1 cup Natvia
- 3 teaspoons cornflour (cornstarch), sifted.
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 300ml *reduced fat thickened cream *(suitable for whipping)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or vanilla paste
- A selection of desired fruit (fresh strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, kiwifruit, passion fruit, tinned pear or apricot)
- Preheat oven to 150°C (300°F).
- Separate approximately 4 eggs and place the egg whites in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat until soft peaks form. Gradually add the Natvia, beating well until the mixture is glossy and has reached stiff peaks. Sift the cornflour over, add the vinegar and gently whisk through.
- Pile into an 18cm-round on a pre-prepared baking tray lined with non-stick baking paper. Place in the oven, reduce the heat to 120°C (250°F) and cook for 1 hour.
- Turn the oven off and allow the meringue to cool in the oven.
- Whip the reduced fat cream while adding 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract. Top the meringue with the cream and the fresh or tinned fruits you desire. Serve immediately and enjoy!
*Natvia is a natural sweetener derived from the Stevia plant. It is 100% natural, contains 0.6 calories per serve and is low GI. Find it with the green label in the tea and coffee isle.
Adapted from: http://www.sweeterlifeclub.com/recipes/natvia-pavlova/